Print this page

St. Patrick, Lucan

St. Patrick Parish in Lucan has a strong Irish heritage as does the Town of Lucan. Catholics began to settle in the Lucan area during the 1840’s at the time of the Great Famine in Ireland. In 1850, a log church was built and Father Peter Crinnon, the future bishop of the diocese of Hamilton, became the first resident Pastor in 1854. The Church, with its tall slender tower and lofty spire, was erected during 1858-59 in the early Ontario Gothic style. In 1869, the Rectory was built. The original one-room parish school, now used as a parish hall, was built in 1883.

St. Patrick Parish consists of 500 families and remains one of the few parish centers in Ontario which still retains all its original buildings - church, school and rectory. During 1984-1985, this historic church was completely renovated and a new chapel was erected on its western side. The church building is one of only two churches in the Diocese of London with a provincial heritage designation.

Father Dariusz Lewandowski, of the Michaelite Fathers, assumed his duties to be the first Michaelite Father and the 28th Pastor of St. Patrick Parish on Feb 14, 2011 and was formally installed as pastor on May 8, 2011.

Parish web: St. Patrick

Read 7200 times